The harmony between great castles and their ornamental grounds is rarely seen in such perfect form as at Johnstown Castle. The gardens and grounds were designed by Daniel Robertson, of Powerscourt fame, assisted by Martin Day. The castle itself was home to two prominent Wexford families, the Esmondes and the Grogans, who have between them occupied the grounds from the fifteenth century right up to 1945. Today the castle is owned by Teagasc, the Agricultural and Food Development Authority, who manage the estate and provide access to the public. This book is the first published history of the castle, and in these pages author, historian and Wexford native Liam Gaul, explores the development of this imposing aspect of Wexford and national heritage from its earliest beginnings.